The Regional Governor of Attica, Ms Rena Dourou, inaugurated the European Office of the Region of Attica in Brussels, on 22 March 2017. During her speech, among other things, she stressed the following:
• We are inaugurating a space for fruitful dialogue in order to promote decentralized policies and deepen local democracy. I am stressing this point because the only way to be successful in the future is through collective action, mutual understanding, coordinated action, and by adopting a multi-partisan approach.
• The presence of Attica, the most important region of Greece, in Brussels, in the heart of the EU decision-making centre, is part of a broader strategy of an outward-looking approach adopted by the Region of Attica.
• It marks both the interest of Attica in being present and intervening at a European level and its desire for synergies, and direct, timely and effective interventions.
• This will be shaped in the form of trying to win this challenge. Brussels can be of great help in assisting us in winning the challenge of entrepreneurship in the Region of Attica.
• The promotion of new forms of sound, outward-looking entrepreneurship aiming to achieve sustainable growth and job creation is an objective that can be achieved through the presence of Attica, by establishing this Office, here in Brussels, in the heart of the EU decision-making centre.
• Our effort will bear fruit not only in Attica and in Brussels, but in many other European and non European cities as well, wherever new start-ups are being set up.
• Our common objective is to find the best way to bring together the public and the private sectors, using as a catalyst the role of local governments.
• The key components of the new growth model promoted by the Region of Attica are: synergies with all stakeholders, innovation, an outward-looking approach, attracting investment, promoting exports, job creation.
The inauguration event was attended, among others, by the Greek Ambassador in Belgium, Ms Eleftheria Galathianaki, the Permanent Representative of Greece to the E.U, Minister Plenipotentiary, Mr Andreas Papastavrou, the Honorary Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff and Chairman of the European Union Military Committee, General Michail Kostarakos, the Chairman of the Association of the Regions of Greece and Regional Governor of Thessaly, Mr Kostas Agorastos, representatives of local governments of Greece and the European Union, the Vice-President of the European Parliament, Mr Dimitris Papadimoulis, and Greek MEPs.
Meeting of the Regional Governor of Attica Rena Dourou with European Commissioner Corina Crețu
The Regional Governor of Attica, Ms Rena Dourou, has met today with the European Commissioner for Regional Policy, Ms Corina Crețu, in Brussels. The scope of the meeting was the axis of entrepreneurship, which is being promoted by the Region of Attica through concrete outreach initiatives and synergies with the relevant stakeholders (Chambers, Agencies, etc.).
“Our goal is to implement, through open public consultation processes, as many policies as possible with regard to start-ups, smart specialization, and making citizens aware of and active towards this direction”, stressed the Regional Governor of Attica after this meeting. “For this reason, we encourage strategies supporting new forms of entrepreneurship and innovation in order to open up new growth prospects not only for Attica, but for the Greek economy as a whole”, she continued.